After the war, many citizens moved into the
Fort Erie area to build homes
and shops. Since these residents moved in many began reporting stories of
ghosts haunting the grounds around Old Fort Erie. One image that was often
reported centred around two figures walking on the grounds of the fort. One
figure appeared to have no head and the other had no arms. Many wrote-off this
story as fiction until a discovery was made in 1987.
During the construction of a home down the road from the fort 28 bodies were uncovered from the War of 1812. These men were once part of the American army that held
Erie during August and September of 1814. In this mass grave two
bodies stood out. One skeleton was missing its head and another was missing its
arms. The story of these two ghosts has a basis in fact.
Jarvis Hanks wrote about his experiences during the Siege of Fort Erie. Since shaving was mandatory in the
soldiers would often pair up to shave each other. Hanks wrote of an incident
when Corporal Reed sat down to shave Sergeant Wait. As the corporal began, a
British cannon ball severed the corporal’s arms and the sergeant’s head. The
sergeant was wrapped up in a blanket and buried while the corporal lived only
for a few days after. U.S.